Sunday, October 24, 2004

Amazing Grace

I went to church today with my family. As we were walking along the sidewalk that led to the building, an older (than me) woman was walking behind us. She was dressed nicely, a bit on the conservative side, wearing something that resembled a vest and she carried a book, perhaps a bible.

She walked leisurely behind us until all of a sudden, she suddenly darted forward and went around us. Shortly after that burst of speed she resumed a normal walking pace. I just grinning, as I found the whole thing rather comical.

We were then going up the steps to enter the church building. The woman with the book simultaneously started going up stairs parallel to us, but on the opposite entrance which was to out side. She was only about a third of the way up and suddenly gave another burst of speed. She simultaneously lost her footing and fell. I normally do not make light of others misfortunes, but this event, perhaps because of what preceded it hit a nerve with me. I started to laugh. And laugh. And laugh. I had to wait a couple of minutes before I entered the building because it was THAT hard for me to retain my laughter.

I guess there is a degree of virtue in being on time for things so that you don't hurry needlessly. This woman, whom I may never see again helped point that out to me. And she did it in an entertaining way. It's funny how our lives touch each other in unforeseen ways.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home