Saturday, June 11, 2011

Return To Bolton Notch

Cave - BNP00039
Yeah, I went back. Internet searches gave me a better description of where to find the caves, so I returned with my goal of finding them. Success! Here's the story:

As soon as I arrived it seemed that the wildlife was letting their presence know to me. A black bird immediately flew right out in front of me, heading off to the right. Shortly after, another followed. Half a moment passed and then another flew slightly above me, flying along the trail going off ahead of me. Just a few steps after that, and a garter snake cut across the path also heading off to the right.

A little later, I looked downward. There were a huge number of tiny toad hopping about. They probably were less than half an inch in length. I couldn't begin to even guess how many there were. They were just about everywhere along the way.

It was a relatively short walk from the parking area, to where I had found the largest of the caves. It was large enough that a person could easily fit in there with plenty of extra space. As far as the trail, it had rained the day before, and the ground was still wet and was slick in a few places. A bit of extra care was needed in a few places that had a bit of steepness and some places had a steep drop off. Other than that, the walking was easy.

I later revisited the upper part of the cliffs, and was very please to find something else that I was told about. There is a huge flag painted directly on the side of the ledges near the top. When I visited the top of the ledges during the first trip, I simply couldn't see the flag because it was over the edge of where I was standing.

I think what I saw was worth the second trip.

2 Comments:

At 9:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes when is the next trip? Enjoy

 
At 7:30 AM, Blogger The Hammer said...

Next trip? I have no idea. Many of the trips I take are spontaneous, but I'd like to start planning them ahead of time when possible

 

Post a Comment

<< Home