Saturday, September 21, 2024

Black And White Nostalgia

Enjoying old style shows.  Popcorn too!

Years ago, as a young teen, I can remember my fondness for those old time black and white television movies where there was always some mysterious creature looming about.  A "Creature Double Feature" would put two movies back to back. Vampires, werewolves, giant insects, and outer space aliens abounded. This and more. 

I often enjoyed popcorn as a movie time snack.  A corn popping machine made for kids ran off an electric light bulb to heat the corn and make it pop.  Back then light bulbs used more electricity than today.  Those incandescent lights through off a fair amount of heat.  After popping, a bit of melted butter and salt on top, and I was good to go.

Well today, I no longer have the light bulb driven corn popper.  I have a hot air popper, but it always seems to result in too many unpopped kernels.  I would often use a small covered metal sauce pan, a splash of vegetable oil, and move the pan by hand in circular motions as it heats.  Today I tried canola oil rather than vegetable oil.  It could be this oil was fresher, but I must say I enjoyed the flavor of the popcorn much more with the canola oil.

I decided to pop this pop corn during an episode of Star Trek Voyager titled "Bride of Chaotica!" much of this episode had black and white scenes in a setting that reminded me somewhat of the Flash Gordon television series.

Good Show. Good Snack. Good times.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home