Sunday, September 30, 2018

Masonry


Cementing my relationship with some yellow jackets.

Several weeks ago I had a problem with yellow jackets. They are a type of wasp that are somewhat common to where I live. There was a hole in the concrete where my porch met the foundation of the house. I presumed that there was an underlying brick that some how fell out. The yellow jackets would go to and fro through the hole as they went back and forth from their nest somewhere in the interior.

The number of wasps got to a point where I felt I needed to intervene. I sprayed a portion of a spray can with no real effect. They danced around in the wetness left by the spray as if taunting me. Two brands later and I still had the same problem 9and one of the brands suggested by a very knowledgeable friend). I spoke to a family member who was described as an “expert” and he said he always uses the entire can no matter what. So there I was with a few cans so I had at it and sprayed until I had nothing left.

Finally results. The wasps returning would not enter. I’d see some exit and not return. None seem to fall to the ground. I thought my problem was over. It was not.

A hour or so passed. I look out on my porch. A few yellow jackets were out there. A few moments later there was a small swarm. I had to kill the wasps. I won’t go into the awkwardness of the details, but will say there were approximately 60 to 70. Apparently they must have had a narrow path of escape elsewhere in the nest leading there. Since then, I’ve seen only a small amount of activity, mostly on warmer days.

What all this got to do with masonry? Well, today being a cool sunny morning, I decided to patch the known entry way with mortar. I put on old shorts and then decided on some old jeans instead, and an old t-shirt that bears a few splatters of paint. It took a while to round up my materials. Closer examination showed that there was no hole from a missing brick, but rather some pronounced cracks. They were difficult to reach . The little bit of mortar that I could get in there mostly just uselessly dribbled down off the trowel to the ground. I was frustrated and stopped, thinking of a trip to the hardware stop to find some kind of caulking with a tube to reach in there. How I hate to use caulking.

I got over my frustration and thought a bit more. Here’s my take about mortar: It’s all about the texture. It needs to have the texture of damp sand, thoroughly moist, no dry spots, but only just enough moisture for it to be sticky. It can not have more than that much water, or it will become too runny, as I encountered.

I had that going right now, but could not get the mortar in there with the trowel. The mortar would just fall to the ground. My solution: I used a plastic spoon and fork. One to dab a portion of mortar on, and one to push it in and spread it.

Mission accomplished, I think! It may look outright patchy. I imagine some old European homes might have layer upon layer of construction material. Maybe I’m going subconsciously going for that look.

I took the remaining mixed mortar and patched a crack that I saw a snake go through last summer (that could be another story onto itself), and to a few other cracks. Rinsed the towel and container off, and they will be good to go for any future projects.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home