Sunday, July 16, 2023

First Base

An experiment to make a data base for my mineral collection 

I have started a new project. Right now it is more of an experiment as I'm not sure what the finished product will look like or if I will keep it or not. The idea is to make a data base for my mineral collection. 

I currently keep all the detailed information on paper, specifically 3x5 inch file cards. Much of that information is typed unto a spreadsheet, and general info goes onto a word processor. Too much work already? Maybe. But the thought of having it all in a database, with easy to view pictures too maybe seems somewhat alluring. 

I am using Libreoffice Base. So far I am just playing around with a few partial entries so that I can alter them and see the results. I've been able to create a table of mineral names that works with the collection info. I've already forgotten how I've created this, but sure with a bit a work, I can recreate a similar table again. 

Something I hope to add soon is some type of query that will calculate the collections total estimated value. It's likely easy to do, but my database experience is lacking. 

Well, as stated, this is just an experiment for now. If any one willing to contact me with helpful tips, it is much appreciated!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home